GOVERNOR NEWSOM: WE NEED URGENT ACTION NOW!
The full extent of the public health impact of COVID-19 is still unknown. But we know for certain that millions of Californians are facing economic uncertainty and housing instability because of this global pandemic. At this moment, we must stand with and for each other across our differences.
We pull through by coming together as we have done in the past. That means ensuring a stable, safe home for everyone. While Governor Gavin Newsom’s recent executive orders show that he is aware of the challenges ahead, more significant action is needed to protect homeowners, renters, and our neighbors who are chronically unhoused. This is why a statewide coalition of more than 140 organizations has submitted a letter to Governor Newsom about the fallout from the coronavirus crisis. Read our full letter to the Governor.
We are calling on him to implement urgent actions to protect millions of Californians:
- An Immediate Moratorium on Rent Increases, Evictions, Foreclosures, Sheriff Lockouts
- A Moratorium on Encampments Sweeps, Closure and Vehicle Tows
- Emergency Rental or Mortgage Assistance
- Suspension of rent and mortgage payments, with debts on rent and mortgage payments accrued during the crisis waived
- Prohibit Utility Shut-Offs and Rate Increases, Halt Application of Late Fees, and Reinstitute Services Immediately
Join us to urge Governor Newsom to take urgent action now. The stability of millions of Californians is at stake.